Using martinis as a metaphor, we take an intimate look into the lives of extraordinary people.
Name: Madelyn Stella McKennan
Profession: Family Nurse Practitioner and Retired LTC Army Nurse Corp Officer
- What stirs your passion? Getting pleasure from helping people and patients achieve healthy goals, ease suffering, and promote public health. This includes promoting smoking cessation, preventing STD’s, strongly encouraging immunizations, and organ donation.
- What has shaken your faith? Abuse. Whether it is physical, emotional, or sexual in nature. Victims of all ages and especially animals. Senseless killings and terrorist acts. The Roman Catholic sexual abuse scandal.
- Who (dead or alive) would you like to have a martini with? My mother who died when I was 10 years old after battling cancer for 18 years. I would love to have an adult conversation with my guardian angel.
- What’s your poison? (The trait you most deplore in yourself?) My inability to learn different languages. I took 4 years of Spanish in school and can’t do more than conversational phrases. I tried to learn Italian before our 3-week trip and had to use a book.
- What do you see as the ultimate buzzkill? When I am sitting with identical twin sister, El, and a stranger says: “Are you related? Mother/daughter?” I quickly say to El, “How are you doing, Mom?!” …..NO we are twins!
- How do you want to be remembered when the glasses are raised? Loving wife, grandmother, wonderful sister, outstanding nurse, exceptional friend, and my military service.
- What’s your happy place? Snorkeling in crystal clear water with a chair on the beach where I can have an umbrella drink afterwards with my husband.
- What is your signature drink? (We’d love to know what you like to drink, but what we REALLY want to know is what is your favorite expression or motto?) Drink: Pomegrante Cosmo (Ina Garten’s recipe) Motto: It’s 5 o’clock somewhere.